Monday, July 6, 2009

From THAT to THIS

On June 22nd, I injured the middle finger on my right (dominant) hand while cleaning the carpet in my van. I saw the orthopedist on the 25th and he confirmed that I tore the tendon that goes over the top of that first knuckle completely off the bone. However, it did not chip the bone. The official diagnosis is called "Mallet Finger". My injury also includes a "Swan Neck Deformity" . This is where that second knuckle was being forcefuly hyper-extended. So, what to do now?



For the next 8+ weeks this "Stack Splint" is my new best friend. I must wear it 24/7. No exceptions. It holds the joint in the proper position to, hopefully, allow the tendon to re-attach itself to the bone. If I bend the first joint for even one second, it will undo any healing that has taken place.


Isn't this attractive? The Dr. was not all that encouraging about results of any potential surgical correction. So, I am being very compliant with wearing it. And, I must say that my finger is much more comfortable IN the splint than OUT of it. This isn't a painful injury - just really awkward. Please wish me luck for complete healing without surgery!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope your finger heals without surgery' I will keep you in my prayers.

Uncle Bill

Lisa Sharp said...

Oh Jamie...this has got to be hard for you, being the busy and active person you are. I must say...the splint is much easier to look at then the crooked finger! Ha Ha. Praying for a non-surgical healing!

Deanna said...

I hope you are feeling better!

Ann said...

I have to agree with your friend Lisa. The splint is much easier to look at. Just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure it will heal well without surgery. I think doctor's orders should include, NO house (or in your case) or car cleaning until it is healed. Amen to that! Take care, Ann

Anonymous said...

It's far more fashionable than the walking cast I just got rid of! Be careful picking your nose, though - that could be really painful....hee hee